Astrofest is held every year. This year it’s on 2020’s leap day. 5:30pm-9:30pm, Saturday 29th February 2020.
It’s an amazing celebration of all things astronomy and stargazing in Perth and Western Australia. The event is very popular and attracts thousands of people to get out under the stars.
There’s always a lot to see and do including:
- Dozens of telescopes on the oval to look through. This year you’ll see the Orion Nebula, Moon, star clusters and more…
- Special guest speakers to wow you with their knowledge, discoveries and entertainment
- Spectacular Science Shows by Scitech
- Mesmerising Space Domes that journey you across the virtual Universe
- Wonderful exhibitors to help start you on an astronomical journey
- Stunning astrophotography on show from the latest competition
- Meet members from the Perth astronomy clubs and staff from local observatories
- Radio astronomy demonstrations
What’s New at Astrofest 2020?
This year on the Astrofest oval there will be a special group of telescopes where you can take images of the Moon with your smart phone! Make sure you check out the “Moon Pod” and have your smart device at the ready. Volunteers will guide you on the night, so don’t worry, you don’t need to be an expert.
New Astrophotography Competition Award
There’s also a new Astrofest Astrophotography Competition Award in 2020. Regional Local Governments in the Astrotourism Towns network in WA are sponsoring the Best Astrotourism WA Nightscape Award at the 2020 Astrofest Astrophotography Exhibition. The winner will be announced on the night.
All the Details
If you plan to come to Astrofest here are the first things you should do:
- Pre-register and you’ll go in the draw for some great prizes including a 130mm Goto Wifi Telescope valued at $499.95. Enter here…
- Have your say in the People’s Choice Awards for the most popular astro image in the 2020 Astrophotography Exhibition. Vote now…
To keep up to date with news and information for the event, RSVP on the Astrofest Facebook Event page.